Ticket #97 (closed defect: fixed)
New installer: improved interface, better system requirements check
|Reported by:||dartar||Owned by:||BrianKoontz|
|Severity:||major||Keywords:||mysql db connection installer setup|
Description (last modified by DarTar) (diff)
Gathered from error reports in different places (including comments on WikkaInstallation, #wikka and IM) - neither new, but worth repeating and putting together, I think:
- In at least some cases the "detected" base path misses a closing slash (resulting in links that don't work); the installer should check if the derived path has a final slash, and if not, add one, before presenting that to the user.
- If PHP (and thus Wikka) cannot connect to MySQL the installer just "hangs" after the first screen and printing "Testing configuration"; this seems to be (at least partly) the result of having error messages from the MySQL statements suppressed with a @, which would be OK if the error message were handled afterwards - but this doesn't happen. Other mysql_xxx() calls in the installer also have the @ suppressing error messages. That should either be removed, or all error messages should be picked up and handled by the installer, at the very least by showing the message to the user.
- Move DeleteCookie() calls to wikka.php : cookies are stored in every visitors' navigator, not only in installer's. Letting DeleteCookie() in install may lead to unability to track some bugs like unable to log out.
This is especially a problem for users new at MySQL or new even at PHP+MySQL for whom it won't be obvious where to start troubleshooting when the installer simply hangs.
- #141 base_url issues
- #408 upgrading from Wikini
- #464 Page hang due to missing MySQL libs
- #518 Advisory message incorrect during upgrade
- #167 Preconfigured ACL settings during installation (optional)
- #604 Generation of .htaccess rules, specifically RewriteBase
- #778 Import from MediaWiki